Catching Up With Zips Legend Romeo Travis



Q: Growing up, who were the players you admired most?

A: The players I admired the most were Scottie Pippen, Shawn Kemp, and Rasheed Wallace.

Q: When you decided to commit to the University of Akron, you had a few other reported offers.  Was anyone else close?  What was your recruitment like, given you already had a relationship with Coach Dambrot?

A: I was close but once Coach Dambrot told me to “sign the damn papers” I knew that’s where I wanted to be, with someone who wanted me.

Q: You played for Coach Dambrot both in high school and in college.  What was it like to play for Coach D?  Were you surprised to see him go to Duquesne?

A: I was surprised to see him leave. But playing for Coach D was a great experience.  He made you want to play for him and your teammates the right way.

Q: 2007 MAC Championship.  Doug Penno.  A questionable clock operator.  How hard was it to get past that game, especially since it was your senior year?  How do you feel about it now, 11 years later?

A: It still bothers me a lot because my life could have been different if we had a chance to play in the tournament and maybe make a run. But it wasn’t in the cards for us.

 Q: You unfortunately never got to play in the NCAA Tournament, but any good Akron fan knows that the turnaround of that program happened under the watch of guys like you, Dru, Wood, Dials.  What was it like watching the Zips win 3 MAC Championships over the next 6 years, knowing you played a big part in making it possible?

A: It was amazing to watch the teams after us make it to the tournament and change the culture and status of the basketball program in my hometown.

Q: Who were your closest teammates at UA?

A: My closest friends were and are Dru Joyce and Matt Futch. I still talk to a lot to the other guys.

Q: Do you still keep in touch with your St. Vincent-St. Mary teammates?

A: Yeah, we are in a group chat and we talk quite often.

Q: Who was the toughest player you played against during your time at Akron?

A: Too many to name. The MAC had so much competition back then...every game was a fight.

Q: What is your best story from your Akron playing days that you can share with us that most fans probably haven't heard?

A: The best stories can’t be told. But some of them involved our academic advisor, Scott Scooter Taylor. Rest In Peace.

Q: What is your favorite memory/moment from your Akron Zips career?

A: My favorite memory is beating Kent after hearing my grandmother had a massive heart attack.

Q: Do you still follow the Zips?

A: I try to follow them as much as I can. It’s hard with the time difference.

Q: Have you met John Groce?  What are your thoughts on the first year Zips coach?

A: I haven’t met Coach Groce in person, just a few messages. But he has my full support.

Q: You've enjoyed a successful professional basketball career since graduating from UA.  What has it been like to play and live outside of the United States for so long?  What was the initial adjustment like?

A: It’s been a long learning experience. It’s been amazing to open my eyes to new cultures and people. It really made me grow. I went out of the country twice while I was in college so I knew what to expect when I got over here. So it wasn’t that bad of an adjustment period.

Q: How long do you plan on playing?  What do you plan on doing once your playing career is over?

A: I’ll probably play two more years. Or as long as my wife lets me. I’m not sure what I want to do. I want to be in sports and not coach haha.

Q: There's a heated debate right now about whether or not college athletes should get paid.  You starred for a nationally recognized high school and a Division I basketball program.  Where do you stand on players being paid?

A: Players should be paid. The coaches to the custodians (no disrespect to custodians) get paid, but the talent does not. Doesn’t make much sense to me.

Q: DeMar DeRozan and Kevin Love have spoken publicly recently about some of their personal battles with mental health issues.  Is this something you feel need to be addressed more for athletes at all levels?

A: Yes, the mental health issues are overlooked because as athletes we are expected to be macho and a man's man and having mental issues are viewed as weak. That needs to be changed and viewed as a real issue.

Q: There has been a national discussion recently centered around professional athletes and social activism.  One Fox News commentator said your friend and former teammate LeBron James should "shut up and dribble".  What were your thoughts when you read/heard that, and how important do you think it is for athletes to take stands on social issues?

A: Athletes have been quiet for too long. They need to use their platforms to solve social issues that affect all people of all colors and class.

Q: Speaking of LeBron, you have posted a t-shirt on your Twitter account that suggests James is better than Michael Jordan was.  The MJ vs LeBron debate will surely continue on for years to come.  Why do you think LeBron is the best?

A: Lebron does everything the same, if not better than MJ. Only argument is MJ's 6-6 NBA Finals record. But isn’t it better to make it to the Finals and lose or not make it at all?

Q: You are in the school's top ten all-time in points (7th), rebounds (9th), steals (10th), and blocks (2nd).  You were an All-American honorable mention.  MAC Player of the Year.  With your resume, many Zips fans think your #24 should be hanging in James A Rhodes Arena.  What would it mean to you if that were to happen?

A: It would honestly mean the world to me. To have my name cemented along with the greats that attended the University of Akron - I would be speechless.



Thank you to Romeo for interviewing with us!

Comments